The 2018 elements below must appear in all films.
Line of dialogue: "I don't like that man. I must get to know him better."
Prop: Abraham Lincoln (i.e. statue, photo, any recognizable image)
Character: a President
Teams picked a random genre from a hat at the Kickoff event:
- TrainYard Productions: Monster Movie
- JMS Films: Aliens
- Thingevski Pics: Action/Comedy
- Spotted Ear: Romance
- Spotted Ear Jr: Road Film
- Creative Differences: Underdog
- Condiments Unlimited: Alternative History
- Aspects on Life Productions: Adventure
- 49 Hour Films: Science Fiction
- Fallout: Biopic
- Duber Brother Productions: Disaster
- Next Quest Productions: Superhero
The Fischgaard Short Film Project will occur between Friday February 16th, 2018, at 5:30 p.m. and the following Sunday February 18th, 2018, at 5:00 p.m. No filming prior to the kickoff party.
All footage must be shot within the competition time period of the project. No stock footage or footage shot or created at another time may be used. Animation and special effects are permitted, but must be created during the competition time period.
Each participating group must have a representative at the official Kickoff Event of the Fischgaard Short Film Project. At the event each group will be assigned required elements that must appear in its film, such as a specific character, prop and/or line of dialogue. To qualify as an "Official Fischgaard Film," each group's film must be in the genre it selects and must contain all required elements.
The finished film must be a minimum of 3 minutes in duration, and a maximum of 7 minutes in duration, including all footage and credits. Any type of video or film camera may be used, however, a maximum of only two cameras may be used. The finished film/video must be submitted on DVD.
The Fischgaard Short Film Project organizers encourage all filmmakers to create films that are appropriate for all audiences. However, the content of the movie/film/video is at the discretion of the participating groups. The organizers reserve the right to not screen any film that can be considered pornographic, or that depicts hard core or graphic sex.
Music: Participating groups are encouraged to work with local composer and/or musicians to write and record music for the films. We realize that this may be difficult to achieve. Therefore, it is permissible for a participating group to use prerecorded music; HOWEVER the participating group must have the rights to any music used in its film.
The producer/team leader for each group must submit a complete and signed "Participation Agreement" with his/her entry form.
The Fischgaard Short Film Project organizers may (most likely will) add to or amend these rules at any time prior to the beginning of the competition time period. For complete rules, download the complete rules. (pdf)
Important rules clarification:
- The film must be 3-7 minutes long all-inclusive of the required opening slate and the final credit.
- The opening slate must have the title of the film, genre, team name and city (Aberdeen, SD).
- This is followed by 5 seconds of black
- The film proceeds
- Credits roll
- If you have a stinger/tag/bump/blooper or any other addition to the film it must appear before the final credit.
- The final credit must be "This film was made as part of the Fischgaard Short Film Project 2018"
All of that must be within the 3 to 7 minute time frame. The timers will start with the opening slate and finish with the final credit.